We proofread all materials that are ready for publication. A final read-through of a completed document is a great way to catch any left-behind errors. We can proof Word documents, PDFs, and hard copy materials.
What we do
When we proofread, we catch
- typographical errors
- spelling errors
- misplaced punctuation
- missing text (dropped lines)
- consistency in style and formatting
- check heads and subheads for consistency in style
- check table of contents and chapter openings
- check running heads and footers
- check pagination
- flag faulty paragraph breaks, widows, and orphans
- flag stacks, rivers, and knots
- proof captions and check numbering and consistency in style
We can proofread against an already-prepared Style Sheet, or if needed, we can create one for you. A Style Sheet ensures consistency throughout the document.
In addition, we read for bias and inaccuracies, and we will alert you to any materials that may be libellous (offensive to an individual) or that require copyright permission to reprint (quotations, poems, song lyrics).
If you require “light copy editing” along with proofreading, we can do both as long as we know ahead of time.